Translate

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Year 3052: Introduction

The Year 3052: Introduction

I did not recognize the landscape laid out before my eyes as I stood on the Catonsville highlands overlooking the City of Baltimore. A millennium of change had brought about the alteration of the outline and configuration of the Inner Harbor. The port was much deeper and extensive with sleek wind-driven cargo ships that slipped in and out of the docks. Gone was the Key Bridge that once framed the opening of the port. Gone were the ribbons of expressway that strapped the city and bound it in its history. My dream left a melancholy hole in my core as I realized that Mankind had indeed survived into the Year 3052.

When I awakened I lay still for a few minutes pondering the panorama that was now fading, its fine details blurring into the soft focus like a summer in the 1960s decade that remains more as an oral history of facts and fictions than as a real remembrance of things accomplished and lessons learned. I had that hollow empty sensation that comes when I think about the prospects of the one-way journey into a new land that immigrants made prior to the earliest days of the 20th century when going back home was impractical if not impossible. One left, never to be seen or heard from again by they who remained, nor to see or hear them again either. It is the same with moving into the future. One becomes lost to the now present never to return.

My Sunday morning became filled with the conjuring of what the world would be like after a thousand years of change. I had to remind myself that I could not characterize the passage of time as ‘progress’ because that would be presumptive. More than likely there will have been cycles of progress and deterioration that resulted in a net improvement or net deterioration. There will have been changes to religion, social structure, race relations, medical practice, energy demands and supply, transportation, education, music, poetry and morals. Just what those changes would be certainly is a pure conjecture.

But nonetheless I postulated such developments using a few known initial parameters and propensities of the human animal. Some of those developments follow in the postings here.
3052: Education
Tweet This Post

No comments:

Post a Comment